Home Remodelling and Brain Cancer Remission.

No, I don't have brain cancer. But, I met someone who does, or did. Have you ever met anyone who was "supposed" to die, but didn't? They are really interesting people to be around. They have the most amazing view of life. According to me, the right view.

Brian and I are rennovating our house. New kitchen, new tile, new bathroom stuff. Lots of hard work, most of which Brian has done. He has demolished (on purpose) alot of the old stuff we were getting rid of. Floor tile, carpet, laminate, countertops, backsplash. He went in and did alot of the dirty work and stirred up alot of dust.... but back to my story.

Two days ago, Brian went to check on the progress of the tile-laying, (which is seeming to take forever while we "vacation" at my parent's house.) He soon realized our AC had gone kaput. Guh! When it rains it pours. So yesterday, I had to go and wait for the AC guy to come and find out what was wrong because Brian is working Band Camp this week. After waiting and waiting and waiting some more, "Sal & Al Air Conditioning" shows up at my very hot house with a very hot (temp. wise) pregnant lady waiting inside her car.

Sal & Al show me whats wrong (too much tile dust and debris in the AC coil) and start fixing the problem - nothing too serious, just a corroded piece thats only about $200. (BTW- Cleaning and hosing down your outdoor AC Unit/Coil once a month can save you alot of $$ on your light bill. --- Thanks Al!)

As I am sitting there watching them work, I start asking questions.
"Are you 2 father and son?"
"Yes."

"Who's Al and who's Sal?"
Younger guy - "I'm Al."
Older guy - "I'm neither. I named the company after my 2 sons, hoping they'd take over the business. One decided to go to college and work IN the AC, instead of with it."

...hang in here with me, its about to make sense.

The older "dad" explains that he and his son run the business now. Five years ago he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and was expected to live only 6 months and has only been back at work for 1 year. I notice the fish tackle bracelet on his arm. Dummy me, I can't help it, I ask, "How did you do that? Survive that when someone told you that you'd die in 6 months?"

the following is what he told me, or what I remember -- sort of a paraphrased Dusti-esque re-canting of his testimony.

"The Dr. asked if I had enough money to live on for a while. I said Yes, I can budget for about 3 years. He said, well, you have grown sons who can take care of themselves, even if you die, they'll be ok. So, his advice to me was DON'T WORRY. Don't worry about money, don't worry about your kids, don't worry about anything."

OK- STOP! Can you believe that the ONE THING that an educated Dr. told his dying patient was "don't worry?" Amazing. And, furthermore- How can you NOT WORRY?

He explained to me that he read the Bible daily, prayed till his knees gave out and had a schedule for talking to his spiritual leaders. He alternated between the baptist preacher, the catholic preist, the lutheran minister, anyone who would talk to him. Aside from that he said he wouldn't stay still. As soon as he was able to get up and walk, he'd go walk a mile -- not run -- but a mile just the same, just very slowly. :)

This story was amazing to me. I have never frankly talked with anyone who had a terminal illness and made it past the other side. He seemed so happy to talk, not in a hurry, very nice and seemed to really appreciate life. I hope that even though my encounter with him was very short, that I'll be able to remember his story when I am down or worried.

Comments