Ah, there it is...

The joy and excitement of the first day of school came for me, on Tuesday.

I was worried that I had lost my zest for teaching yesterday. I didn't stay up all night the night before the first day of school. I didn't even pick out what I was wearing for the first day. I came in "on time," not early, for the first morning. I thought it might be me being pregnant and all, but I remembered I was even further along last year than this year.

I couldn't quite put my finger on the reason why I wasn't excited....but, today it came during Kindergarten.

All morning I used a specific analogy to explain WHY I didn't want kids to RUSH through their artwork. I began with asking them a question. "If I made you brownies, how would you rather have them made? In the oven or the microwave?" Everyone said oven. Then I went on to explain that when we make artwork, we don't want to be MICROWAVE artists, we want to be OVEN artists and take our time and do a good job.

This analogy worked AWESOME until I got to kindergarten. When asking the question, the answer came back unanimous, "the MICROWAVE!" "Why?" I probed. "Because they'd be done faster," one kid replied. Leave it to a Kindergartner to leave holes in my theory. "But, it would taste bad," I said.

After explaining they'd get to paint with water and paintbrushes in art this year, the kindergartners broke out in spontaneous applause laced with several "Yays!"

Then, before class was over several of them asked where their brownies were.....

Hmmm.... I love teaching!

Comments

Stephanie said…
Sounds like a great first day. Those little ones learn to outsmart us adults early on ;)
Kathryn said…
You are too funny! Glad you are excited about school.
Heather said…
Funny, I slept like a baby the night before...very strange. I also didn't pick out my clothes...again, very strange. We'll have to get together and swap stories! :o)
Unknown said…
Dusti, I really, really miss you!
My Milla :)
Unknown said…
ok, where did my comment go?
anywho, i said that i really, really miss you, dusti(ch)

My Milla :)