5% of the population...

...suffer from hypertrichosis.

Hypertrichosis is a term for when you have eyelashes that grow inward toward the inside of your eye. Guess what. I have it.

I went to the eye doctor yesterday because my allergies have been so bad and I constantly feel an intense itching in the inner corner of my eyes. I knew that it was probably due to my "pregnancy allergies" but decided to go get checked out anyway because I have had scaring on my cornea from past eye infections. After a short consultation with the eye doctor about allergies and medicine, he looks at my eyes with that magnifying light thingy and two seconds after turning on the light he says, "It's not allergies." I say, "Oh, man, it's an infection?"
"No, its trichosis." he replies.
"It's whats-osis?" I say.
You have eyelashes that grow inward in your eyelids.

Yipee.

So after a long explanation about how bad it's gonna hurt, he puts numbing drops in my eyes, turns the lights down low and opens the door and yells down the hall, "Set back my next appointment, I'm gonna be in here a while." He lets another Dr. passing by know what I have and it's apparently some sort of "freak of nature" thing I have 'cause no one can believe it. The other Dr., the nurses....

So, yeah, I am beginning to freak out now. Dr. comes back in and starts prepping his big curved, freaky looking tweezer things. I ask, "So, is this really going to be bad?" He replies, "Is that your first pregnancy?" I say, "No." He says, "You'll be fine, then." I am thinking, "WHAT THE HECK!?!" This is gonna be BAD!

Turns out it wasn't AS bad as I thought. I had 8 plucked from my right eye and 4 plucked from my left -- but it took about 3 or 4 tugs on each hair and my eyes kept watering up really bad. It felt like someone was pulling my eyelashes out through a secret passage in the back of my nose. Halfway through I decided I deserved a pretzel. But, I was good and went and got a Frullati fruit chiller instead.

The worst thing about all of this is knowing I have to go back and probably get more plucked. The Dr. said that usually your insurance requires you to go back for two plucking procedures before they'll cover the cauterizing surgery to keep the hairs from growing back. Yipee!

Comments

Stephanie said…
Seriously.
I hope I did not make this 5%. That sounds awful, but I bet you feel better. I have seen eyelashes on my inner part that seem to grow in also. I feel the need to google this medical condition for details and pics, but am trying to refrain as we all know where that will get me.
I hope you never have to go thru that again. I can't even do the air test at the eye Dr., they have to do drops for me. I fly out of that chair like some sort of acrobat when I know the air is coming.
Feel better - and you deserve the pretzel!