My Big Mamma

I originally wrote this on my Myspace blog, but wanted to share it with some of my readers who don't have a Myspace.









This is my Big Mamma. She is my Mom's Mom. She is in a nursing home in Hospice care.

Yesterday some of the family went to sit with her and wait. We talked about her, and our family and some of her favorite things. She is in a coma, so she can't talk back, but the nurses say she can still hear us.

I never knew her that well, because she has always been a rather private person. She used to watch me and my cousins when we were little, and one of my best memories of her was when I was about 9 or 10. She was trying to help me move this tether ball pole on the side of her house. It was stuck deep in mud and went she went to pull it out, she "lost her grip" and tooted. She stopped, looked at me and said, "Dang, Frog!" and stomped the ground.

She had a funny sense of humor, that one. :)

Big Mamma also loved to get artwork from me. I guess she probably did from every grandkid, but she always fussed over mine, and it really made me feel special.

While its sad to watch her go, I know she has lived a long, full life and that she'll be re-united with her husband and daughter and more people she loves that I can possibly recount. She was a strong lady. She overcame many things in her life. She had 5 children, lost her husband at a young age and never re-married. She is a cancer survivor who lost her voice several years back, but never lost her sense of humor.

If I could create a heaven for you, Big Mamma, it'd be full of bright green frogs, and beautiful butterflies and a great TV channel with nothing but old westerns starring strong, handsome men. I love you.

Comments

Stephanie said…
That is so touching.
Glad that she has familiy with her now - I am sure she feels your love.
lots of hugs!