When does happiness HAVE to cost money?

While waiting in the grocery store check out line, I read this headline on a popular magazine.

"20 ways to make someone happy for $20.00 or less."

What is wrong with the world?! I mean, I am the first to admit that I find great satisfaction in a new tube of lipgloss or something shiny from a store. But, when I think back about the happiest moments in my 29 years of life, the happiest moments don't cost a thing.

Ok - except for the day I got married. And, the day that Ella was born.
Yeah, I'm sorry. I guess happiness does cost money.
And now that I think about it, I could have had a simple wedding with no frills, and we could have had dinner on the grounds like church at my reception. Brian and I could have danced our first dance together as the wedding party sang "Close To You." I could have thrown those weeds that make the puffy ball things you blow and make wishes on as my bouquet. I would have been just as happy and just as married. (Sorry, Parents, that it took me nearly 6 years of marriage and thousands of dollars later to discover this out.)
Somehow I don't think that squatting in the woods with no pain killers would have made me just as happy on the day Ella was born -- but I digress.
In the end, I'd choose many happy moments spent with my family and friends rather than "$20.00 happiness." Times where we laugh our heads off about silly things. Those times mean more to me than any amount of money (or painkillers.)

Comments

Heather said…
It doesn't have to cost money. I'm at my happiest when we just hang out at someone's house....nobody has to spend money. It just sucks when you don't HAVE money, and you're just never happy because of the lack of money. :)
I bought that magazine!!! (not for that topic though)