Funny Lil' Quirks.

I have this great new magazine I have subscribed to called WONDERTIME. I love the writing in it. I have a new goal of writing a story and having it published in the magazine. They are great stories about children. Some are very touching and insightful, like the story about a girl who was profoundly deaf and was given a cochlear implant when she was 1. Her mom tells the story of what it was like the first time her daughter heard and recognized her own name.

One of the recent articles is about funny little quirks that children have. One quirk a little girl had was adopting a wooden rolling pin she named Balki, with whom she slept every night. Another was about a boy who couldn't eat unless his shoes were off. If you ask me, these are some of the best things about being a mother, the funny little quirky things your kids do and say.

Ainslie's latest quirky habit is that when I rock her to sleep she immediately reaches up, grabs my lower lip and continues to squeeze it, with her fingers wrapped around the inside of my lip, until she falls asleep. I thought the first two times were coincidence, but she continues to do it.

I also heard her say, "momma" the other day when she was upset, but I thought it was a fluke. My babysitter called me today to tell me she heard her say "momma" while she was crying. So, while I hate she is crying when she says it, at least she is saying it! :)

Ella has quirks out the wazoo. She has to have things in threes: Balls, food, lipstick. She also insists on wearing certain clothes now -- mainly dresses. If she doesn't like her outfit, she likes to go through a laundry list of adjectives on why she can't wear it: "It's too fast, too slow, too green, too sticky, too crunchy, too noisy." It doesn't matter if the adjective isn't' appropriate. It only shows her utter disdain for the clothing her mother has put aside for her!

On a AWESOME NOTE: my daughter is now, fully potty trained, HALLELUJAH, AMEN! She even has slept the last two nights in real underwear and woke herself up at 3:00 morning because she had to tee tee! YAY! Diapers for one, people!

Comments

Stephanie said…
Oh just wait - there will be so many more quirks for you to blog about! Congrats on potty training!